Canadian Music Centre Prairie Region Emerging Composers Competition
The three composers (Isaac Zee, Thomas Joiner, Gregory Parth) featured in the WNMF Launchpad program are all winners of the Canadian Music Centre, Prairie Region Emerging Composers Competition for orchestra. This is an annual competition for emerging composers with a connection to Canada’s Prairie Region with a cash prize of $1,000 and performance by the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra (WSO) during the Winnipeg New Music Festival (WNMF). 2023 marks the 20th annual edition of the Competition.
The 2023 WNMF features three ECC winners (due to covid cancellations in 2021 and 2022):
- Gregory Parth – Teutoberg (2023 Winner)
- Thomas Joiner – Dawn (2022 Winner)
- Isaac Zee – Day of Judgement (2021 Winner)
The list of past winners of this contest is rapidly becoming a “Who’s Who” of Canadian composers (Associate Composers of the Canadian Music Centre are indicated in bold):
- 2023: Gregory Parth, Teutoberg
- 2022: Thomas Joiner, Dawn
- 2021: Isaac Zee, On the Day of Judgement
- 2020: Henry From, Isle of Pic
- 2019: Scott Ross-Molyneux, Ehryakaviss
- 2018: Luis Ramirez, Chido
- 2017: Michael Ducharme, X-1
- 2016: Glenn Sutherland, To See Again with Spirit Eyes
- 2015: Nova Pon, Awakenings
- 2014: Roydon Tse, Three Musings
- 2013: Daniel Belland, Voyage
- 2012: Jesse Plessis, Tender is the Night
- 2011: Luke Nickel, L’étoile noyée
- 2010: Darren Miller, for amma
- 2009: Karen Sunabacka, And There Was a Great Calm
- 2008: Shelley Marwood, Illumination and Andrew Staniland, Protestmusik
- 2007: Boriša Sabljić, Deliverance
- 2006: Vincent Chee-Yung Ho, Stigmata
- 2005: Abigail Richardson, Dissolve
- 2004: Jocelyn Morlock, Bird in the Tangled Sky
Emerging composers of any age who are current residents of, were born in, or have completed a substantial portion of their musical education in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, The Northwest Territories, or Nunavut, are eligible. Submissions must be completed no later than July 1 annually.
Conceived by anonymous donors, the CMC Prairie Emerging Composers Competition prize was first awarded in 2004; 2023 marks the 20th annual edition of the contest.
Winners are invited to participate in annual WNMF Composers Institute, giving them the opportunity to experience the entire Winnipeg New Music Festival from behind the scenes, attending WSO rehearsals and concerts, and participating in professional development workshops with Canadian and international guest composers.
Instrumentation may not exceed: winds at *2,*2, 2,2; brass at 4,3,3,1; timpani plus 2 percussion; harp; and strings (12, 11, 8, 7, 6). *Available doublings are: Flute 2/Piccolo, and Oboe 2/English Horn. Works with instrumentation that exceed the above will not be considered. Works requiring soloists or employing electronics, MIDI, digital technology, and/or sound reinforcement in combination with the above instrumental forces will not.
Emerging Composers Competition
CMC Prairie Region
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, Alberta T2N 1N4